Green Cards & Lawful Permanent Resident Status


Having a Permanent Resident Card, colloquially called a “Green Card”, allows you to live and work permanently in the United States.  Depending on your individual situation, you must take different steps to apply for a Green Card. Most people who wish to obtain a Green Card will need someone else to file for them an immigrant petition such as a Petition for Alien Relative or an Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker. In certain cases, individuals may be eligible to file a self-petition such as form I-360 under the provisions of Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Additionally, individuals who have been granted asylum status or cancellation of removal status can obtain a Green Card.

There are different steps to be taken in order to obtain your green card. For people, who are already in the United States, the process is called Adjustment of Status, in which form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status is filed with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Alternatively, for people who are outside of the United States, the process that they need to follow is called consular processing with the United States Department of State.

In addition to having an immigrant visa or petition approved, you also must meet all the requirements to be admitted as a lawful permanent resident. For example, the commission of certain crimes may make you inadmissible to the United States.

It is important to know, that once you have been granted your Green Card, you must maintain your permanent resident status. Leaving the United States for longer than one year may result in losing your green card. Also, commission of certain crimes may make you deportable from the United States.

Experienced Green Card Immigration Lawyer

At the Law Offices of Paul Marinov, P.C., we have assisted hundreds of individuals obtain their permanent residence status. Contact us today and schedule a consultation to discuss your specific situation and how best to proceed in your green card application process.